Written by Brian Cray on August 4th, 2009
Definition: A/B testing allows you to test variations of content simultaneously to see which performs best.
A/B testing overviews
- An Introduction to A/B testing by Jesse Farmer; Jesse writes a clear introduction to A/B testing, and writes more on the subject at his blog
- How To Increase Site Performance Through A/B Split Testing on UX Booth by John Hyde of Site Doublers; A nice simple introduction written in UX Booth style
- Putting A/B testing in its place by Jakob Nielson; Jakob argues that A/B testing has many benefits, and qualitative tests should supplement
- How to improve A/B testing on ClickZ; Simple tips on how to improve the value of your A/B tests
- Effective A/B testing by Ben Tilly; A slideshow on what is A/B testing
- For ease-of-implementation use Google Website Optimizer, a more turnkey solution than Genetify. Just plug stuff into Google Website Optimizer and it does almost everything for you.
Google Website Optimizer tutorials
- Video tutorials of Google Website Optimizer provided by Google
- Advanced Website Optimizer tips on the official blog by Trevor Claiborne
- Google Website Optimizer tricks blogged by Eric Vasilik; Also includes Google Analytics tricks, too! :)
- How to do A/B Testing in WordPress on Think Vitamin by Ryan Carson; A screencast for using Google Website Optimizer specifically on Wordpress
- Genefity walkthru & demo walks you through how Genetify works and allows you to safely create example tests in real-time
New A/B tests on Brian Cray.com
I've been wanting to run an A/B test on Brian Cray.com for a while. This morning I setup some tests in my blog post footer using Google Website Optimizer to test which words influenced the most action.
Here are the tests:
Variations of "Add comments"
- Add comments (original)
- New comments
Variations of "Subscribe"
- Subscribe (original)
Variations of "Share"
- Share (original)
Variations of "Follow me"
- Follow me (original)
Update - Aug 3rd, 2010: I just released phpA/B for A/B testing with PHP. Try it out today!